We sometimes have customers in China reporting that they have difficulties accessing emails and websites that are hosted at our server in Singapore. However, there are no problems with our server and there are no similar reports from others.
So often, it can be a temporary connection issue caused by GFW. More information can be found here.]]>
There are ways to troubleshoot email problems on your own before consulting us. Below are some common things that you can check and do:
1) Email account / hosting storage Over Quota
- About 50% of the time, the problem can be caused by exceed of storage quota by individual email account, or the hosting space that you have subscribed from us. In this case, you will be able to send out emails but will not receive emails from others.
2) Use Email ID as username
Make sure that you have entered the created email address as the username. Do not use capital letters in the email address that you entered as username.
3) Create a test email account in your Cpanel
- If you suspect that emails are not coming in, you may creat a test account and try sending emails to this account. You may send and receive from your personal email accounts such as @singnet.com.sg, @gmail.com or @yahoo.com.sg. Try reading your emails in webmail instead of email clients such as Microsoft outlook / Outlook express.
4) Disable firewall, anti-virus, reset router, restart computer, clear computer cache.
If the above doesn’t work, you may contact us to troubleshoot your email accounts. But merely telling us that your email account doesnt work is not useful. We often need more information on how we can assist:
1) Send us a bounced email message
- If your customers are not able to send emails to you, normally there will be a bounced email message. In this case, try asking them to send the bounced email message to your personal email accounts. There may be reasons stated there. You may then send us the bounced email messages.
2) If there is no bounced email message, then you may let us know which email account exactly, or is it all the email accounts under the same domain name.
3) Also, it will be useful if you let us know whether its webmail problem or email client problem. If you are using microsoft outlook/outlook express, there can be different version that causes the problem.
We hope these are useful.]]>
In outlook express, you may go to “Tools >> Accounts >> Mail >> Properties >> Server”
Check “my server requires authentication” box in your email configuration.
In most programs, this is in advanced settings and on a Server settings or Outgoing server settings.]]>
However, there are times when we are not able to access your domain name account. If it happens that you need to configure these advanced DNS settings, Below are the various terms:
Name Servers - Holds the information that tells the users where to find your website and emails. Name servers is something like this: ns1.singaporewebdesigner.com
An A (address) record - A DNS record that can be used to point your domain name and host names to a static IP address.
MX (mail exchange) record - A DNS record that can be used to point your domain name email services to other mail servers.
CNAME (canonical name) record - A DNS record that can be used to create host names for a domain name. These host names can be set to point to other domain names or host names.
How to use them:
1) If we are hosting your website but NOT emails, you may update your A record to 126.96.36.199, so that the host names are pointed to our server IP address.
2) If we are hosting your emails but NOT website, then you may update your MX record to 188.8.131.52, so that we can host your emails.
3) If we are hosting both your emails and website, then you can just update the name servers of your domain name with the following:
ns1.singaporewebdesigner.com - 184.108.40.206
ns2.singaporewebdesigner.com - 220.127.116.11
Log in to Cpanel >> Mail >> SpamAssassin
- Click on “Enable Spam Assassin”
- Click on “Enable Spam Box”
If spam issue is very critical to you, there is an option for you to set up “BoxTrapper Spam Trap”
- Essentially, this will force all people not on your white list to reply to a verifcation email before they can send mail to you.
Generally, you should also protect your mailbox by hiding any visible emails from websites. There are many spam bots which collect email addresses online and send out spam emails later.]]>
The bad news is, you cannot do anything as well. We also can’t do anything to stop the spammers.
There are clients who may tell us this:
“I have been receiving bounced emails from email addresses that I have never sent to. It mentioned “Failed delivery” of message.
When I look at the email messages, it appears that the messages come from my domain name such as:
Looks like someone is sending out spam emails from the server.”
Here, we have to assure you that these spam emails were not sent from your domain / email account. You do not need to worry actually, nobody can go to your email account without your account information.
Put it simply, there are spammers who have forged your email header data.
Most email client software would allow you to view full email header. In outlook express, right click on the email, choose “properties” and a new window will pop up. Click on “details” tab and you will see the full header data.
To track the source of spam emails, you may read on.]]>
1) Delete existing emails and empty trash
- We have to emphasize that by deleting the emails, you have yet to free up the space. So, you also need to purge the emails from your webmail software, horde or squirrel mail.
*Pls take note that if you are using mail clients like Ms outlook / Outlook express, then these emails will actually download directly into your mail client, or your own computer. Unless you choose “leave a copy at the server”, the emails will not be stored physically at the server.
2) Empty your spam box
- If you have enabled spam box for spam control, there might be many spam emails that are still stored at the spam box. You need to login to Cpanel >> Mail >> Spam Assassin to choose “Empty spam box”. Then only will those spam emails be cleared from the server.
3) Delete old html/image files from the server
- If your web hosting package includes website hosting as well, then you may consider deleting old files that are stored at the server. To do so, you may ask the web designer to clear for you. If you are managing the hosting account on your own, you may Login to Cpanel >> File Manager >> /www/, to access the files stored at the server.
4) Increase hosting storage
- Majority of websites are hosted with Starter solution. If your business starts to grow, you may need to consider more storage space. Or else, you may find yourself clearing your emails instead of concentrating on the business most of thetime.
*In the case that you feel that your email inbox storage space is always not quite enough, you may allocate more quota for your email account. But of course, only the main administrator who has access to Cpanel can allocate more space for you. If you are the only administrator, you may login to Cpanel to do so.]]>
Often when we introduce Oscommerce eCommerce software to our customers, its no surprise that they are aware that it is free, open source.
However, some customers will have this question in mind: “If you install this software on my website, will they charge me for a cost in the next released version?”
This is where GNU GPL comes in. As you may also know, Oscommerce is released under GNU General Public License (GPL). By using GNU GPL instead of free software licenses, you are protected such that all improved versions of the software will be free.
Dreamweaver 8 was the industry leading web development tool, a preferred choice for professional web designers and developers. But for novice, it may be too feature rich and complex. The latest version is Dreamweaver CS3. The price for a new purchase will be USD399 and USD199 for upgrades from previous versions. The new release includes CSS tools, Ajax components for building dynamic user interfaces, and intelligent integration with other Adobe software.
Microsoft Expression Web
This new software was introduced by Microsoft as a replacement of its formal Ms Frontpage. There is a 60 days free trial and new purchase will cost USD299. Existing Frontpage user may upgrade to Expression with USD99.
CoffeeCup HTML Editor 2007
More suitable for novice web designers and amateurs, this software offers powerful functionality and a straightforward and compact interface, with a generous 30-day trial. Retail price is USD49, much lower cost than Dreamweaver.
With the launch of www.edlinktemplate.com, we hope to extend our services to customers with very limited budget.
We have listed some benefits of using templates below:
a) Low Cost
We can often reduce the cost of designing a new website using templates by 20~30%. If you have web publishing knowledge, the cost of launching a website is only the cost of template [less than SGD150] plus web hosting and domain name charges.
b) Faster Site Launch
With template customizatin, your website may be launched much earlier. We essentially cut down the time for design conceptualization.
c) Wider choice
You are no longer confined to a few choice. There are over 6,000 templates for you to choose from.
The only downside is that, your competitor may be using the same template as you. However, new templates are constantly added to our template library every day. So, there is very little chance that you may find your site similar to another company. You may also need to do some customization to the template to suit your business.
To search and browse through our template gallery, you may visit www.edlinktemplate.com.]]>